THIS PAGE IS OUT-OF-DATE
Rather than simply deleting this wiki page, I'm marking it as out-of-date until the relevant portions can be updated. In the meantime, if you want more up-to-date info on wxPython on Mac OS X you should see wxPythonOSX Issues
This is a working scratchpad so that multiple people can collaborate on identifying Bugs and Issues with wxPythonMac and PythonCard. I had a big list that I wanted to share with Dan Shafer and the wxPython Mac mailing list.
The initial list is based on wxPython Mac Rev B release.
- [KEA] Kevin Altis
- [DGS] Dan Shafer
- [SDD] Seth Delackner
2002-06-04 [KEA] Updated for MachoPython-2.2.1-3.dmg and wxMacPython-2002-05-17.dmg releases
- 2002-05-09 [SDD] Added another wxPython Mac issue
- 2002-04-28 [KEA] Created
- 2002-04-28 [DGS] Updated and commented
OS X issues
names longer than 31 chars getting truncated in tar.gz file such as SourceForgeTracker.original.rsrc.py
- locale module doesn't work
wxPython Mac Issues
make sure to use sys.platform == 'darwin' and/or wx.wxPlatform == 'WXMAC' check for OS X specific code
- wxFont. Will it support face names in the future?
- wxTextCtrl does not autoscroll (related to lack of scrollbars?)
- wxTextCtrl with wxTE_MULTILINE style has no scrollbars
wxTextCtrl takes and returns \r instead of \n. Regardless of what newline style it uses internally, wxTextCtrl should always accept \n for input and output methods: GetValue, SetValue, AppendText, etc.
- wxTextCtrl when using the wxTE_RICH/wxTE_RICH2 styles can't select text of a field that isn't editable. Should be able to if it is supposed to work like Windows and GTK I think. If wxTE_MULTILINE without wxTE_RICH doesn't have a small field size limit then that would probably be adequate.
wxTextCtrl looks like PositionToXY is returning bogus numbers. Probably need to do a minimal test app. The PythonCard findfiles sample uses something like
to figure out the line the user clicked on in a locked field, but it isn't working on OS X.
- menus Cut, Copy, Paste, Exit (Alt+X) all get changed to Mac equivelants. I'm assuming this is by design, but some keyboard bindings don't seem to work, so there might be a bug here. Still investigating.
- wxFrame windows without menubars are too tall, basically the height of the Mac menubar.
- don't use a y position of 0 because that will put the window underneath the Mac menubar. Perhaps wxMac should compensate since on Windows and Linux a window position like (0, 0) is valid.
- window resize icon in the bottom-right of a window means that different whitespace strategies need to be used to avoid the resize icon overlapping other controls when the window doesn't have a statusbar.
wxWave sound playback doesn't work. Would it be possible to bind to QuickTime library routines in wxMac for sound playback?
- when switching to a window that has no menubar, the existing menubar is cleared. is this going to cause an issue for tool palettes and other child windows of the top level wxFrame?
Unicode / WorldScript support. Is this possible? A long-term goal?
- wxStatusBar doesn't display wxMenu item help text. I tried this with the same app on windows and OS X [SDD].
- file script launching. [KEA] I think this is fixed in cvs for samples.py. I switched to
os.spawnv(os.P_NOWAIT, sys.executable, [sys.executable, filename] + args)
One difference I noted on the Mac is that the launched app does not automatically come to the foreground like it does on Windows. Not sure if there is a way to fix that or not.
- font changes for 2.3.3. This issue is still open. I've changed widget.py to leave self._font as None until needed, but the changes to family handling in 2.3.3 are still causing some problems.
wxYield() broken? PythonCard textRouter sample. Actually this looks like a problem with a missing drag and drop module
- dbBrowser sample. What needs to be done to get MySQL working on OS X?
- textIndexer and addressesZODB samples both need StandaloneZODB. Has anyone compiled it for OS X? If so, we can make the binary available with the Windows binary that Neil built.
check default sizes (-2, -2) and (-1, -1) with Image (wxStaticBitmap) and ImageButton (wxBitmapButton) components. The tictactoe sample looks like the components have borders, which shouldn't be there.
resourcEditor. possibly using CaptureMouse() incorrectly on darwin.
[DGS] 7/31/02 - I assume the above reference covers this, but drag-and-drop of components placed into resourceEditor doesn't work at all as far as I can tell, which makes creating PythonCard apps entirely too hard if my experience is accurate.